Prairie Hill Waldorf School is committed to excellence in all basic academic skills. It provides a strong introduction to the classics, foreign language, history, geography, mathematics, and science… The subjects today’s child needs as a foundation for tomorrow’s complex and challenging civilization.
Each morning the children spend the first period of the day – a two hour Main Lesson – with their class teacher. During this time they will intensively study a block from one of three core subjects. In this way the rhythm of the day begins with work that requires the most attention.
After about a month, when one topic has been fully explored a new Main Lesson block is introduced. The Waldorf approach is keeping with current educational theory that learning should be age appropriate and multi-sensory, acquired not only through sight and sound, but also through touch, movement, imagination, and feeling.
Students receive an education that not only engages the intellect, but the whole child through head, heart and hands – an education that integrates the artistic and creative with the scientific and intellectual study.
The Waldorf Grade School Program (Download PDF):
• The day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 3:15p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, and at 2:10 p.m. on Thursday
• Core academic subjects are integrated with the arts
• Additional subjects include foreign language, handwork, chorus, woodwork, strings, recorder, gym and movement
• Each grade performs a play complementing the curriculum
• Field trips and extended day class trips that enrich the classroom learning
• Offers optional before and after care programs for an additional fee
Why people love Prairie Hill Waldorf School?